Endorser Meet Dr. William J. Wyne, Jr.., Ecclesiastical Endorser
Rev. William J. Wyne Jr., Senior Pastor
Second Missionary Baptist Church
Rev. William James Wyne, Jr., is a native of Birmingham, Alabama. He served as the Pastor of Missionary Union Baptist Church in Columbus, Mississippi from March 1980 to September 1991. He is presently the Pastor of the historical Second Missionary Baptist Church in Battle Creek, Michigan, which was established in 1849. Since assuming the leadership of the church in January 1999, Second’s New Vision & Outreach Ministries has been established (a Community Development Corporation).
The Outreach Ministries consists of the Reading Incentive Program (an After-School Tutorial Program – a collaboration with Battle Creek Public Elementary Schools); and A Second Chance, two Transitional Houses for males or females (a collaboration with The Haven of Rest); the Annual Historical HBCU Concert since 2001); and formerly the NorthSide Senior Meal Activity Program (a lunch program that fed Seniors Tuesdays through Thursdays).
In the spring 2006, the congregation completed Phase I of the Family Life Center. Phase I includes administrative offices, classrooms, youth room, conference room, and an elevator to make the facility fully handicap accessible.
Pastor Wyne completed his clinical residency in Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) at Children’s Hospital in Detroit, Michigan, and is a Board-Certified Chaplain by the Association of Professional Chaplains. He holds a theological degree from Bethany Bible College in Dothan, Alabama (BA in Ministry), Faith Lutheran Evangelical Seminary in Tacoma, Washington (MA in Christian Ministry). He has also done his post doctoral studies at ETS Ecumenical Theological Seminary in Detroit, Michigan.
Pastor Wyne is:
- Currently serving as the Ecclesiastical Endorser of National Baptist Convention, USA, INC., where he vets and validates eligible chaplains for endorsement and he oversees the Professional Development Institute of Chaplains during the Annual Congress session. He is also a member of the NBC Executive Leadership Team.
- A leader of a Ministerial Leadership Group of Pastors in the American Baptist Churches of Michigan.
- The Vice President of Boards of America Baptist Churches of Michigan.
- A member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. (Omicron Rho, Flint, MI).
- The recipient of numerous honors and awards that attest to his work. Pastor Wyne’s sermon, “A Faith for Life’s Fires,” was published in The African American Pulpit summer of 2003 issue.
Pastor Wyne has also served as:
- The former Moderator and an instructor with the Chain Lake District Missionary Baptist Association.
- The former President of the Moderator’s Division of the National Baptist Convention, U.S.A. Inc.
- A past Trustee of Kalamazoo College.
Rev. Wyne is married to Josie Howard-Wyne. They are the parents of two daughters, Lisa S. Stinson and Genesis L. Player and the proud grandparents to Makyla Grace Player.