Affordable Care Act - Health Care Insurance Resources
President Scruggs Among Religion Leaders Affirming Support for the Affordable Care Act
October 21, 2013
Dear Mr. President:
We, leaders of predominantly African American denominations and other faith leaders, who lead millions of African American people of faith, believe that our devotion to God requires us to be actively involved in promoting the well being of all people...Read More
Did You Know...
- An estimated 7.3 million African Americans with private insurance now have access to expanded preventive services with no cost sharing. These services include well-child visits, blood pressure and cholesterol screenings, Pap tests and mammograms for women, and flu shots for children and adults.
- The 4.5 million elderly and disabled African Americans who receive health coverage from Medicare also have access to many preventive services with no cost-sharing, including annual wellness visits with personalized prevention plans, diabetes and colorectal cancer screening, bone mass measurement and mammograms.
- More than 500,000 young African American adults between ages 19 and 25 who would otherwise have been uninsured now have coverage under their parent’s health plan.
Get Covered America will hold national “Health Care from the Pulpit” outreach events to further engage the faith community in education and outreach efforts around the Affordable Care Act. Places of worship will conduct consumer outreach activities such as tabling, forums and information sessions in their local communities to spread the word about the new health care options made available by the opening of the Healthcare Marketplaces on October 1, 2013.
What National Baptists Can Do to Spread the Word and Encourage Enrollment
Even though the "official" dates for the Weekend of Faith are October 25-27, 2013, you don't need to limit your advocacy activities to that weekend! We encourage you to use the resources provided to make information about the Affordable Care Act and what people need to do to get covered available continuously in your place of worship.
If your place of worship would like to participate, please contact email@example.com for further details.
Get Covered America Action Center
Here's a good place for resources for your local events to help spread the word about the Affordable Care Act and how to get signed up for those in need of health insurance. Following are some helpful links:
Social Media Buttons
Banners and Sign Up Tools for your Websites (widgets)
Find Local Events
Health Care from the Pulpit ResourcesClick on the titles to download the resources.
What Faith Leaders Can Do to Reach the Uninsured
Healthcare in the Pulpit Partner Packet
The Affordable Care Act and African Americans
Additional Affordable Care Act Resources:
Health Insurance Marketplace. For more information about the Health Insurance Marketplace including official resources, research, news, text message and email updates visit http://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/index.htmlState by State Fact Sheets. Choose your state to learn more about the immediate benefits of the Affordable Care Act,http://www.healthcare.gov/law/information-for-you/index.html
The Health Care Law and You
Things to Think about when Choosing a Plan
How the Marketplace Works - 4 Steps
Telephone Support. There are now four toll-free telephone numbers to answer questions about the health care law.
- The Health Insurance Marketplace telephone number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 1-800-318-2596, TTY: 1-855-889-4325
- The Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) telephone number is available for small businesses with 50 or less employees. The telephone number is available Monday – Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm: 1-800-706-7893, TTY: 1-800-706-7915