National Baptist Congress Scholarship Program
Skip to the 2016 Guidelines and Application
Introducing the 2015 National Baptist Congress Scholarship Recipients
Hurry! The first deadline is on or
around October 30, 2015!
- Applications for the Scholarship will be available at the National Baptist Congress of Christian Education Annual Session for awards in the following year.
- The criteria are provided in the National Baptist Scholarship Application Packet.
- The Scholarship Commission will evaluate each state applicant based on the criteria outlined in this application packet. Evaluation points will be assigned as follows: application, academic GPA, academic curriculum, church participation, community participation, content of recommendations, and essay.
- Each State Congress may submit applicants to the National Scholarship Commission.
- All applications must be typed and submitted in the original format. (Emailed or faxed copies is not be accepted).
- The award will consist of a five thousand dollar ($5,000) scholarship; one for each applicant from each of the six regions of the National Baptist Convention as submitted.
- One scholarship will be awarded to a student in the name of the National Baptist Convention President.
- One scholarship will be awarded to a student in the name of the National Baptist Congress of Christian Education President.
Scholarship Awards are made during the Congress of Christian Education Annual Session
Scholarship Applicant Requirements
The scholarship applicant must:
A. Be a member in good standing of a church that is currently registered with the National Baptist Convention USA Inc. and the National Baptist Congress of Christian Education.
B. Currently be enrolled in high school with satisfactory progression toward graduation in the year the application is awarded or already matriculating in college.
C. Possess a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of not less than 2.5 (un-weighted) on a 4.0 scale.).
D. Provide an official transcript or an original copy of the most recent report card.
E. Have been in attendance at the National Baptist Congress of Christian Education and participated in the Youth Division activities 2015, the year prior to submitting an application, and provide a copy of the certificate received.
F. Provide written evidence of participation in community activities.
G. Submit the application packet to their local district association president/ moderator on or before September 30, 2015, the prescribed deadlines set by the National Baptist Scholarship Committee (note: this date is flexible).
H. Write a 400 to 600 word essay. The essay is to include:
a. life experiences
b. future goals, how and why those goals were chosen
c. your plan to achieve those goals and the timeline related to the accomplishment of those goals.
d. must be typed, double-spaced using 12 point Times New Roman font
I. Submit three (3) letters of recommendation, on original letter head, to include the following persons:
- Pastor (required)
- Youth Director, Sunday School Superintendent, or person within the church leadership
- Teacher, guidance counselor, principal, etc.
J. Be submitted to the National Baptist Scholarship Commission and postmarked no later than midnight December 30, 2015.
K. The decision of the National Scholarship Commission is final.
L. Hold membership in a state convention that has contributed to the national scholarship fund.
Submit all applications to: National Baptist Scholarship Commission
East Orange, NJ 07017-5410