The Convention Visits The White House
By Dr. Larry B. West | December 12, 2011
“Rising to New Challenges” – A Dialogue with The White House
At the invitation of the Obama Administration, our visionary President, Dr. Julius R. Scruggs, led a delegation of 86 of our Convention leaders to the White House on December 1- 2, 2011.
This was an historic event that launched our Convention’s contemporary purpose of “Rising to New Challenges” as we dialogued with senior Obama Administration officials about issues of concern to our churches, constituents and the people we serve as follows:
- Department of Homeland Security: Disaster equity
- Department of Education: Early childhood education, low performing schools, equitable funding
- Department of Justice: Voter suppression, state voting law changes
- Department of Health and Human Services: Health disparities, the Affordable Care Act
- Department of Labor: The American Jobs Act and how it benefits the African American community
- Department of Veterans Affairs: Getting information to our veterans about services from which they would benefit
- U.S. Agency for International Development: Assisting in mission work
- Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Strategies for developing effective partnerships between the Convention and government offices...