Membership Benefits & Privileges
Membership Benefits & Privileges Include:
- Voting Privileges
- Eligible to serve in elected or appointed leadership positions
- Retirement, health, life, and disability insurance plans via the Ministers and Missionaries Benefits Board (MMBB) for pastors and staff
- Service Recognition for 50 years or more as pastor
- Church, District, Ministry and State Convention Websites
- Supporting the Ministries and Outreach of the Convention, including Disaster Relief, Home and Foreign Missions, Prison Ministry, and more
- Supporting Higher Education Opportunities for our Youth, including the American Baptist College and College Scholarships
- Participating in and supporting the continuing education and certification of Christian Leaders and Laypersons through the Congress of Christian Education
- National advertisement for your church, district or state convention events (free)
- National advertisement for your pastor and church staff searches
- Church, District, Ministry and State Convention Websites at a discount
- Ongoing Communication and Updates via the Website and Email Newsletters
- Opportunities for individuals and churches to serve and benefit from national ministries and mission
- Continuing, supporting and contributing to the legacy
and growth of the largest and oldest traditionally African American Baptist
There are four categories of membership in the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.:
- Constituent Membership - For churches, district associations, and state conventions
- Representative Membership - Messengers designated by churches, district associations, and state conventions who have the responsibility of voting on behalf of the Constituent Member
- Life Membership - For individual members of a National Baptist Constituent member church that is in good and regular standing with the Convention
- Annual Membership - For individual members of a National Baptist Constituent member church that is in good and regular standing with the Convention.
Voting & Voting PrivilegesVoting privileges for elections and during conventions of this Body shall be restricted to Representative Members, i.e., messengers designated by Constituent Member churches, district associations, and state conventions known to be in harmony with the purposes of this Convention, as verified by procedures established by the Board of Directors and approved by the Board of Directors.
Voting shall be by messengers certified by the General Secretary to be representative Members, and shall take place by processes and methods approved by the Board of Directors. Each Representative Member present at a Convention session is entitled to one vote without reference to member organizations, states, or geographic location.
Casting of votes shall be by voice, show of hands, standing, or by electronic means. Persons holding Life Membership or Annual Membership in the Body may be recognized and participate in debate during meetings of the Convention, but are not entitled to cast votes.
The Annual Session of the Convention, held every September, rings in
the Convention's major membership drive of the year. State Conventions,
Churches and Individuals register in great numbers during this time,
though registrations for membership are accepted throughout the year.
Registrations are accepted for the Parent Body (NBCUSA, Inc.) and the
Boards and Auxiliaries of the Convention. There are specific
registration deadlines for Parent Body registration that are required in
order to be eligible to exercise voting privileges.
Mid-Winter Board Session
The Mid-Winter Board Session, held every January, also brings formal opportunities for state conventions, churches and individuals to support the work of the Convention through the donation of specified representation fees.